All too often, we hear people ruling out Lanai because “there’s not enough to do on that little island.” Boy, is that wrong! While we do think that Lanai is best enjoyed when coupled with a stay on Maui, there’s plenty to do on Lanai. You can fill a 5-7-night stay without much effort! Even though this is a relatively small island compared to the others, it boasts some of the most diverse and unique landscapes. It is entirely possible to spend your morning snorkeling in Manele Bay, teeming with abundant sea life, and then spend your afternoon driving around the Mars-like terrain of the Garden of the Gods. Or, spend the morning hiking, and finish with an ocean swim on a beach that’s all to yourselves. You’ll also need time to explore the island’s famous shipwrecks, take a whale and dolphin watching excursion, try your hand at archery, play a round of golf, go horseback riding, tuck into a big plate of the freshest sushi, visit the island’s history museum, and relax poolside after a spa treatment.
Previously, Four Seasons operated two hotels on the island, the Lodge at Koele up on the mountain and the Resort at Manele Bay down on the beach. Both were closed for extensive renovations, and the Resort at Manele Bay has been transformed into the Four Seasons Resort Lanai. While the Lodge is still closed, we wait in anticipation to see what will become of it eventually!
Four Seasons Lanai: This hotel is a must-see in Hawaii; it is a game changer for luxury hotels worldwide, and it has been an incredible addition to the Four Seasons portfolio of hotels. We would be hard-pressed to pick any one thing that makes this resort so special; it is the complete package. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, and very well-appointed (the bathrooms alone could sell this hotel). The completely rebuilt pool complex offers perfect separation between the main family-friendly pool and the serene adults-only grotto complete with relaxing waterfalls. Nobu Lanai is certainly the dining darling, but all of the venues are equally unique and amazing!
- Pictures from Jessica’s visit shortly after the renovation completion at Four Seasons Lanai
- Four Seasons Manele Bay: WOW Beach Vacation – David’s initial take on the renovations as they were underway.
- Four Seasons announced the appointment of a new General Manager to the Four Seasons Resorts Lanai (June 19, 2017)
- Town &v Country Magazine: Larry Ellison Wants Lanai to Be the Most Incredible Resort in the World (April 7, 2017)
- For a bit of nostalgia, see pictures from Jessica’s visit to Lanai in 2013 prior to the closing of the Lodge at Koele and read her Site-Inspection Report (11/20/2013), Four Seasons Lanai: Lodge at Koele and Manele Bay
- For even deeper nostalgia, read David’s blog post from his first ever visit to Lanai back in 2008!