Los Cabos is a luxury travel destination like no other, combining great weather, exotic scenery, adventure and five-star comfort; the options are endless! I just returned from a destination research trip where I spent two weeks seeking out the top luxury hotels and testing out the best luxury experiences. Here’s a round up of what I learned:
Getting There – We all know Cabo is notorious for being easy to get to via nonstop flight for west coasters. But for our east coast folks, Cabo is also quite easy to get to with a connecting flight. And while in transit on the ground, between visiting all of the luxury hotels, I never experienced a transfer longer than 30 minutes.
Stay – When you book your luxury accommodation in Cabo, odds are you are promised either an outdoor shower, private plunge pool or fire pit, encouraging indoor-outdoor living without leaving your room. There are so many great hotels to choose from and each is has something different to offer. Click through below for site-inspection reports on some of our favorite hotels:
- Montage Los Cabos – Our new favorite! A swimmable beach, 3 sprawling pools, a kids club, golf course, cozy rooms, and a popsicle bar round out our favorite features! Read more…
- Las Ventanas – The ultimate favorite! A unique check-in experience lets you know immediately that this isn’t just another hotel stay. The staff takes attention to detail to a whole new level and your every whim is answered with ease. This is a great spot for honeymooners!
- Chileno Bay – A well-rounded option and great for families! The huge pool, swimmable beach, contemporary interior design, spacious rooms, and an amazing dining experience will keep you happy for days.
- Resort at Pedregal – We love the sense of romance and drama here, along with authentic design, private plunge pools, top-notch service, and unique location walking distance into town.
- One & Only Palmilla – This resort is the all-ages pleaser! It has an exotic feel to it, but there’s still plenty of polish and more than enough space to spread out!
- Esperanza – Amazing Ocean Views and dramatic cliff-side dining!
- The Cape – Like all Thompson Hotels, this one is a trend-setter. We love the rooftop bar and buzzy vibe.
- Grand Velas Los Cabos – All-inclusive without sacrificing on style, quality of service, dining, or amenities. Choose the Grand Class for an adults-only experience and private plunge pools. Families will enjoy the Ambassador Suites and the kids and teens clubs.
Service – Luxury is personal! Everywhere on property, the staff greets you showing their sincerest welcome from the heart. Each luxury property had their own unique and special welcome as soon as you arrive, you barely feel like you are “checking in”. What’s a lobby?
Swim – Where the desert meets the sea, you can explore rare swimmable beaches at just a handful of the luxury resorts. They make the perfect playground for outdoor enthusiasts and a sanctuary for marine life. Perfect for swimming, snorkeling, paddle boarding and kayaking. You may even spot a whale or jumping manta ray!
Explore – When you see a dirt road in Baja, you should take it! Rediscover the joy of wandering through charming San Jose del Cabo, or a day trip to Todos Santos (which is all the rage right now!) where Mexican culture flourishes among art galleries, shops and authentic cuisine. During my trip, I enjoyed unique garden tours with farm-to-table dining, a glass blowing demonstration, and a beautiful sunset cruise. You can also try your hand at snorkeling, zip lining, paddle boarding and many other active adventures. If you’re feeling really active, you might consider the new Lindblad Expeditions “Base Camp Baja” cruise.
Back in town, take advantage of the options to dine cliffside at exclusive restaurants where the waves crash and the sun sets and then make the most of the nightlife at hopping beach clubs and rooftop bars with creative cocktails and live music.
If you’re looking to get a little more creative or off the beaten track with your next trip to Los Cabos, check out our suggestions for 3 Ways to Rethink Your Cabo Vacation.
Security – The question of safety has been a hot and controversial topic among travelers. Some luxury resorts have implemented undercover security and you would never even notice it. I can also say with full confidence, throughout my whole stay I always felt a sense of comfort and safety, even on the road and exploring the towns. Travel smart, but also travel with confidence. We have a network of partners who are local and on the ground that you can trust to make sure everything runs smoothly.
Globally and Locally Conscious – Each luxury resort seemed very committed to the concept of “responsible luxury”. There are obvious efforts being made to make positive contributions to their environment, and it doesn’t go unnoticed.
There’s More! – North of Cabo, there are up and coming developments in East Cape where the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton and Aman are building resorts scheduled to open in 2019 and 2020. You know we’ll be back to scope out the new luxury hotel options as soon as they open! Until next time…