Grand Velas is the only all-inclusive resort in Riviera Maya that is also a member of Virtuoso. Located just south of the Mayakoba complex and about 45 minutes from the Cancun airport, this is one of our favorite options when you are looking for an easy, stress-free getaway for both families and couples. From the moment you walk into the resort until the second you leave, Gran Velas will continue to impress you.
The resort is all-inclusive, but couldn’t be farther from the stereotypes that conjure up thoughts of wrist bands, watered-down beverages, and a pool-party vibe. Instead, Grand Velas maintains a polished standard of impeccable service, incredible attention to detail, large guest rooms, beautiful accommodations, and sophisticated dining. There are 8 restaurants, one of which is 5 diamond rated and two are 4 diamond rated, appealing strongly to foodies.
Grand Velas opened in 2008, takes over more than 200 acres, has over 1500 employees, and 539 guest suites. Despite the massive size of the property, it never feels too big or intimidating because the resort is essentially three hotels in one: Grand Class, Ambassador, and Zen. There is 24-hour shuttle service to take you between the three areas. With so much to explore between the three sections, it does not feel like you are stuck in the same place for the entirety of your trip. You are freely able to access all three sections; the only restriction is no children are allowed in Grand Class.
Grand Class is the adults-only section of the resort. There are 90 suites, all oceanfront with outdoor terraces and plunge pools. The suites are spacious and clean. This smaller size allows you to become familiar with the staff as they make your experience even more personalized. There is an adults-only pool with a swim-up bar and the lounge chairs on the beach are spread far apart. There is a sky bar on the top floor, which is in the middle of two restaurants, Piaf and Cocina De Autor. Cocina De Autor is the 5 diamond rated restaurant. It is a tasting menu with wine pairings and is truly spectacular. The other restaurant, Piaf, is styled after Paris in the 1940’s and offers a French menu. For lunch, Bistro is a great option located right next to the adults-only pool. Children are only allowed in these restaurants for the earliest dinner reservations, so even the dining experience in the Grand Class section is very intimate and (mostly) kid-free.
Ambassador is located right next to Grand Class and is the family-friendly area. There are 195 suites with 75% having the option to connect. All suites are ocean view with outdoor terraces. Oceanfront suites with plunge pools are also available. There is a kids club (ages 5-12) offering activities for the little ones. There is also a teen’s club (ages 13-18) giving the teenagers a place they can feel is theirs. A gym can also be found in this part of the resort. The Ambassador pool is massive and has a swim-up bar. Frieda and Lucca are restaurants both located in Ambassador. Frieda is a Mexican restaurant with a contemporary fusion and Lucca is a traditional Italian restaurant, complete with an Italian head chef. There is also a karaoke bar and a piano bar.
Last, but certainly not least, is Zen. Zen is the entry-level part of the resort. While Grand Class and Ambassador offer beachfront scenery, Zen is set back in the mangrove and gives you the feeling that you are secluded in an exotic jungle. There are 254 suites, many with the option of a plunge pool, and 50% connecting, making it great for families. There is another kids club, a larger gym, mini-golf, and a pool with a swim-up bar. Zen is home to Gran Velas’ spa, which was outstanding. A large convention center can also be found at Zen, but is far removed from the suites so the guests are not disturbed by noise. Zen holds Chaka (a restaurant with an international cuisine), Sin Lin (a modern Asian restaurant) and Koi Bar (a large sports bar with a DJ at night).
The level of service at Grand Velas is unbeatable and reason enough to book a trip there soon! The Grand Velas brand also include all-inclusive luxury resorts in Puerto Vallarta and the newest addition in Los Cabos.
Grand Velas Riviera Maya is a member of Virtuoso and our clients enjoy the following amenities:
- Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability ( From Zen Grand to Zen Grand Pool / From Ambassador to Ambassador Pool / From Ambassador Pool to Grand Class )
- Daily Buffet breakfast, for up to two in room guests
- Complimentary one-way private airport transfer ( From Airport to the Hotel ) . Must be arrange at least 48 hrs prior arrival through our Virtuoso Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org, one transportation confirmed per family (booking) arriving together.
- SPA Credit: $ 50 USD per person, per night SPA Bonus applicable on massages, facials and body wrap treatments with a duration of 50 min or more (Not transferable between guests, Not cumulative, Not redeemable for cash, Unused balances will not be refunded, Not combined with other Spa promotions, Not applicable on SPA Boutique products, Beauty Salon, Hydrotherapy Circuit, Not applicable on treatments available in SPA Cabanas (outdoor areas at Ambassador), Applicable on treatments with a duration of 50 min or more.
- A welcome bottle of tequila
- Early check-in/late check-out (Upon availability at Check-in)